Saturday, March 24, 2007

I can't believe I didn't post about completing the stole!! I finally finished it, just in time for the tea, and I am really quite proud of this piece. I used Fleece Artist Blue Faced Leicester, which is amazing wool. The pattern is Sivia Harding's Gothic Leaf Stole.

I'd never properly blocked any knit items before. One wool cabled sweater got a light "wash and lay out, stretch and mould to shape" blocking, but that was the whole of my experience. Lace is much, MUCH different. My first attempt ended up all scalloped:

While that was pretty, it wasn't the look I was going for. Since I left it to the last minute I didn't have time to go chase down blocking wires - so some crochet cotton had to be used instead. I pulled the cotton so tight it snapped at one point! (I nearly had a heart attack when I thought it might have damaged the stole!) Once I got it all re-pinned, it looked much better:
Re-blocking the stole

I was amazed at how the blocking defined the lace stitches so well, and evenned everything out. Here is a photo of it hanging outside:
Hanging Stole

I have about a quarter of the yarn left, maybe more, but I'm not sure what to do with it. I loved this pattern but I'm not ready to work with it again, so I might seek out a different lace pattern and try a scarf for myself.

No comments: