Thursday, May 28, 2009

I *heart* Tanis Fibre Arts

This may be the most wonderful yarn I've yet knit with. It's squooshy and soft, lightweight (for wool) in your hands as you knit, and the colous......oh the beautiful colours. I'm talking about Green Label Aran Weight from Tanis Fibre Arts. It's a lovely Superwash wool in 215yard skeins and gorgeous colourways, and available locally at Beehive Wool. It's a little pricey, almost $20 a skein, but I'm so glad I splurged.

I've been enjoying every moment of knitting this up into the Telemark Pullover, a lovely top down toddler sweater. But I've run into a problem. I'm nearly out of yarn and I'm just coming to the bottom hem. I haven't knit the arms yet. I have three choices:

1)knit the body a little short, and finish it off as a make-shift-vest with no sleeves. (and hope I have enough yarn for this!!)
2) buy another skein of yarn, making this a $40 baby sweater, for no one in particular - ouch!
3) rip it out and start over with a different pattern. (I actually have a vest in mind that I should be able to manage with this yardage)

I'm leaning towards #3. Knitting with this yarn has been a real pleasure, so I wouldn't cry about the lost "work" because I'd get to knit with the same skein twice. I do plan to buy more of this yarn, maybe even to knit a larger item for myself, but I'm bothered by spending $40 to knit up one baby sweater, when I don't even have a recipient in mind. What would you do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Definitely #3. $40 for a baby sweater is a little pricey, not to mention that A. there is no recipient in mind and B. babies outgrow their clothes so quickly.