Thursday, December 11, 2008

Holidailies Post #7 : Finishing Work

I really don't enjoy finishing work in my knitting. I try to use seamless/one-piece knits so that all I have to do to "finish" a piece, is weave in a couple ends. (and I hate having to even do that much sometimes!) The bulk of my UFO stack at any given time is a number of items that are done, except for seaming up, weaving in ends, or adding buttons. Sometimes all three. I enjoy the knitting, I love watching a project take shape and move from rows of stitches into a pattern or shape, but the end details don't thrill me.

I think part of the problem is I'm not great at seaming, I've never taken the time to learn the proper techiques or practice. This means it's always a struggle, trying to figure out what will work best, look ok, and be strong and sturdy. I also worry that poor seaming will muck up a perfectly good knit.

I currently have 4 toddler mittens, all knit up and ready to seam. I sense a LONG evening ahead of me.....

No comments: